Types of buyers and consumers explained by Kent Routen – Search Marketing professional. Targeting your ideal business customer is one of the keys to your business success. One of the first steps to making money for your business is to identify your ideal client. Perhaps the most important aspect of your business is the identification of your ideal target customer.
“To know thy business, is to know thy customer.”
“You cannot be everything to everyone, and trying to be that way makes you nothing. That is why investing time and real effort into the intimate discovery of your ideal customer is totally worth it.” Quote from the book The Ultimate Guide for Entrepreneurs.
Below you will learn an effective business analogy called the DCRR (Dog Cat Rabbit Rat). This will provide you with 4 categories for your business buyer and consumer types. From a business perspective the easy way is to identify the business to the types of buyers.
- The Dog Type Buyer Personas – are ideal customers for a hairdresser, doctor, solicitor business (just to name a few examples).
- The Cat Type Buyer Personas – are ideal customers for a whisky bar, funky cafe, trendy restaurant business (just to name a few examples).
- The Rabbit Type Buyer Personas – are ideal customers for a dairy shop, tobacconists, ice cream stall business (just to name a few examples).
- The Rat Type Buyer Personas – are ideal customers for a hire shop, air travel, backpacker accommodation business (just to name a few examples).
Now we can learn the common traits to help us identify our customers
- The Dog Type Buyer Personas – personal loyalty
- The Cat Type Buyer Personas – comfortable surroundings
- The Rabbit Type Buyer Personas – convenience
- The Rat Type Buyer Personas – price
The Dog type of buyers and consumers
The Dog type of buyer will always be loyal and faithful. You need to keep this type of buyer happy and valued. This type of buyer and consumer are high maintenance and will not be cost effective. They will require a lot of one on one attention.
The Cat type of buyers and consumers
The Cat type of buyer will be location driven and they love their comforts. The Cat type of buyer is an ideal customer and require the least attention and work.
The Rabbit type of buyers and consumers
The Rabbit type of buyer will behave just like a rabbit. It will hop to wherever there is food. It will come, go and come back whenever they please. Just like the Cat type of buyer it is location driven and loves its comforts. The Rat type of buyer is an ideal customer and require the least attention and work.
The Rat type of buyers and consumers
The Rat type of buyer has only one simple objective “the price”. The rat type does not care for anything fancy and will thrive off a bargain and saving money. They also tend to boast to all their Rat type of friends about how much money they saved etc. The Rat type of buyer will also move onto another cheaper option without any hesitation or warning.
Now its time for you to look at what customers you have. Try and work out how much each customers costs you and your business. Once you have the cost or estimate, work out the total revenue per customer. Next decide what customers to keep and how to get more of your ideal customers!
Of course a cross over can and will often exist. The best customers for a robust business value and the least work are cats and rabbits as they are comfort and location driven. For a well located pub restaurant type of business we saw the following example. A few dogs say 5%. Lots of cats say 60%. Surprising number of rabbits say 30% and few rats say 5%.
To find out more give the Kiwise Digital Team a call today or contact us below